My mouth was salivating as I was writing up this recipe. Yum!
- 2 cups zucchini, coarsely shredded/grated (not tightly packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or 1 ripe banana mashed (for sweetness)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or 1/2 cup of Vanilla Happy
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or substitute for almond meal
- Place zucchini in a colander while you are getting other ingredients ready. Preheat oven to 190c and line 20cm x 20xm baking dish with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add egg, oil, maple syrup (or mashed banana) and pure vanilla extract; whisk to combine. Add cacao powder (or Vanilla Happy), baking soda and salt; whisk until well mixed.
- Give zucchini a gentle squeeze but do not ring out completely, add to a bowl and stir. Add flour and mix gently until combined.
- Transfer batter into prepared baking dish and level with spatula. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until the centre is barely jiggly. Do not over bake as brownies will have more of a cake consistency. A toothpick inserted has to come out somewhat not clean. If centre is too jiggly bake a bit more – ovens vary.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about an hour. Lift by the parchment paper flaps and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely. Cut into 16 squares.